Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Godfather, per favore?


Image from: www.hollywoodreporter.com

Whenever people ask me what's my favourite book, I definitely will answer The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
.
I first read The Godfather when I was 14 and I absolutely loved it. I loved it too much, I managed to finish the book in just two days. To top it off, I was having my end of the year exams at that time but because I was so engrossed with the book, my exams became my second priority. Ha ha, naughty Aleza.
.
Anyway, after reading the book, my dad suggested me to watch the movie. And so I did. It instantaneously became my favourite movie. Since the movie is a trilogy, my dad and I watched for three days straight. (My favourite is the first one, hands down.)
.
Fast forward 10 years later. About a few weeks ago, my eyes caught a very interesting book in MPH Bookstore: The Godfather by Mario Puzo. At first I contemplated whether I should buy the book as I always believed that reading a book once is enough but touching the book brought back my teenage memories. And plus, I read my uncle’s book – so I MUST, MUST have it for myself. (Aside from The Godfather, I could read Harry Potter books over and over again.)
.
I thought leaving the book for 10 years would make me less excited (or maybe tone down a bit) but.. I was wrong. My heart beat so fast and of course, I could not put the book down. My excitement skyrocketed after watching the trilogy just a few days ago. Marlon Brando was definitely marvelous in the movie, and Al Pacino as Michael Corleone? Dreamy, just dreamy (don’t get me started with this, I think I’m driving my mom insane with The Godfather.. hehe *sorry mummy*) 
.
The story was so brilliantly put together, I wouldn’t mind watching again and again. Most movies from books are crappy (example: Shopaholic – I was VERY DISAPPOINTED. Becky Bloomwood SHOULD be English, just my two cents) but The Godfather is an exception. 
.
Though I was slightly disappointed with Diane Keaton as Kay Adams and Robert Duvall as Tom Hagen (I always imagined Tom Hagen to be taller and Kay Adams to be uhm, prettier and shorter than Michael Corleone) but other than that, marvelous, just marvelous. 
.
And by the way, how do I get my hands on The Godfather Family Album by Steve Schapiro?? (The international edition is edited by Paul Duncan but who cares, I want!!) Is the book available in Malaysia?? (Have to find out about this..)

Love, 
Aleza

No comments: