Thursday, July 4, 2013

Asian wonders.

So I spent my weekend in Sarawak to attend the Rainforest World Music Festival (RWMF) and something really interesting happened to me on the way to Sarawak Cultural Village (where the festival was held).

To get to the festival, we had to take the shuttle bus from the hotel and since most of the seats were occupied, I found one next to a Caucasian man. We started chatting and I got to know that he was from Alaska. So every time this American man started talking, I noticed something really interesting. He was making sign languages to some of the words (Ya know, the sign language you do when you think people don't understand what you're saying?). Mind you, I was speaking English to him from the beginning.

To be honest, I was puzzled. What made this man think that I needed sign language? And to make it funnier, he was making those sign languages at the simplest of words like "eat", "go", "fisherman", "house arrest" - well, he told me he went to Myanmar and we got to talk about Aung San Suu Kyi who was on house arrest for many years. Oh talking about Myanmar, he asked me, "you know Myanmar? The country?".

Yes, yes I do know what Myanmar is. It's also known as Burma, by the way.

He even asked me if I know what BBC is. *Insert facepalm here*

Even when I told him that I am working as a journalist, he kept on with the sign language. I don't know whether to feel offended or not but I felt like saying to him, "Seriously? You think we live on trees or what? (Even if we did live on trees, we would still know how to speak Engrish - *the "R" is intended btw* and know a lot of stuffs too!)" So we went on talking and then, he asked me again, "Did you study in a university?" Well, apparently mentioning to him that I am a journalist did not work. And yes, I, like millions of other Malaysians are university graduates.

I feel like laughing whenever I think about the conversation I had with that man. But he was a nice person to talk with though, that I cannot deny. And we talked about a lot of things - I told him that here, in Malaysia, we are exposed to a lot of different cultures like the American culture, British culture, other Asian cultures, etc. And fyi, we are exposed to a lot of Hollywood movies too ya know. And songs. Not only do we listen to American songs, we listen/watch to a whole lot of other songs/movies too - Malay, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Hindustan, Spanish, French, Japanese, well you get the idea. I know, we're awesome. I even had the chance to teach him the Malay language pronunciation. Haa.

I have to admit, that was one of the most interesting bus rides I have ever had.

The little Asian young woman had fun talking to the tall Western man.

Haih mat salleh ni. Sabar je la.

Love *insert sign language here*,
AleO.

No comments: