Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Of Rainforest World Music Festival.

Rainforest World Music Festival sign in front of the Sarawak Cultural Village

7 hands. Can you spot mine? :p

Have you heard about the Rainforest World Music Festival held in Sarawak every year?

Well, if you haven't, it's a 3 day music festival held in Sarawak Cultural Village. I have been wanting to go to this festival since forever but I haven't got around to go until my colleague mentioned it last year. So we quickly booked our tickets and flew to Sarawak on Thursday last week. This year the festival was held from the 28th June - 30th June.  

My colleague invited her friends so there were 7 of us. At first, I had reservations on traveling with people I don't know - I usually travel with my family or friends and since my colleague invited her friends, and I was the only one who didn't know any of them (well, except my colleague), I felt a bit... nervous. I don't consider myself a shy person per se but I do feel a little uncomfortable and nervous around people I am not accustomed to. I know, I know this should not even be an issue since I am a grown woman *ehem* and a journalist but ya know, feelings and insecurities started creeping in. I mean, what if the colleague ignores me? Or what if they don't like me? *gasp*

But thank heavens, everything went great. The colleague's friends were a fun bunch. I didn't feel left out or weird or even nervous. I guess my insecurities got a hold of me. :p

So the festival started in the morning - there were workshops and other activities during the day and the concert started at night. The music played in the concert consists of world music (ethnic music I suppose) from different parts of the world - South Africa, Ukraine, Ireland, Indonesia, Iran, Turkey, etc. So you can imagine the colourful music I was feasted with that three days! Definitely a worthy experience. Oh don't worry about food cause they had plenty of them - burgers, kebabs, rice..

I never thought I would appreciate these types of traditional music, to be honest because I usually listen to mainstream music but RWMF totally changed my perception. So many different cultures in one place, on one stage (well there were two stages - to avoid delay I suppose since they have to set up the instruments beforehand). Makes you realize that there are so many beautiful things to see and explore. Ahh the wonders of seeing different cultures...

Definitely a festival worth going again.

See you in a couple of years (or maybe next year?), Rainforest World Music Festival!

Here's a snippet of some of the performers. Enjoy!



Love,
AleO.

No comments: